Understanding more about your investments will lead to better conversations with your financial advisor and better decisions about your investments.
Here are some questions that you may want to ask your advisor to build your understanding.
To learn about the costs of service:
- How much am I paying your firm for the services I receive?
- What services are you and your firm providing for the fees I am paying?
- How are you paid for your services (salary, commission, or flat fee)? What are the benefits of this approach? Do I have the option of switching to a different method if that is my preference?
To learn about the performance of your investments:
- How well did my investments perform?
- Am I on track to meet my financial goals? What adjustments should I make for new financial needs that are coming up?
For more information about working with an advisor check out the Ontario Securities Commission’s brochure: Working with a financial adviser.