Article Image: Young Couple Having Discussion with a Financial Planner - Stock Image

Ensuring a financial advisor is registered and in good standing

Firms and advisors who sell investment funds are regulated by:

  • The Mutual Fund Dealers Association, which regulates firms and advisors that sell mutual funds;
  • The Investment Industry Regulatory Association of Canada, which regulates firms and advisors that sell all types of securities, including mutual funds;
  • The Autorité des marchés financiers, which regulates mutual fund dealers in Quebec, and
  • The Chambre de la sécurité financière, which regulates mutual fund advisors in Quebec.

If you know an advisor you can trust, start by getting in touch with them. If you are looking for a financial advisor, you can ask family, friends, workmates or professionals that you work with, such as your accountant or lawyer. But don’t just take their word for it. This is about your investment style, your money, and your future. You might want to talk to more than one person to make sure your advisor will be a good fit for you and your needs. Then check their registration – it will tell you what products and services that they are allowed by law to provide. You can also see who is registered in your area by checking these links:

To find out whether the person has been disciplined by securities administrators, check the CSA’s Disciplined Persons list.